I have been called to serve for 2 years in the Costa Rica San Jose Mission as a full time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Week Six in the MTC!!

EMAIL

We actually set up a system in our room on the air conditioner that makes drinks pretty cold. Its pretty snazzy. So if you really wanted to send gatorade it would be greatly appreciated :) .
Last Tuesday Elder Hinckley came. He's in the Quorum of the 70 and is the son of President Hinckley. He was an awesome guy to hear from. we found a way to go around the giant mob waiting to get in to the devotional so we didnt have to deal with that and we got seats on the floor. He had great quotes and great stories from his father. He opened the second half of his time to just question and answers and it was cool to have him answer missionaries' questions. One elder asked about what dinner time was like with the prophet and what kinda scriptures they would share. His response was pretty funny. He said that he doesn't get why people think they just shared scripures all day at dinner. His dad would hound him about mowing the lawn and shucking the corn. Its funny to think about President Hinckley in that way but he was just a normal dad.
In our classes we're just really getting down different ways of teaching and reviewing all the spanish so that we can get it down well. Last week in the TRC we taught in spanish for the first time and we taught the Word of Wisdom and it was so cool. The spirit was so strong and I could just feel the spirit putting spanish into my mouth that I didnt even know I knew and prompting me to use scriptures in the lesson that I have never used.
We got a new teacher this week. He's only here for a week because he needs to go to a new district and teach them which is disappointing because I really like him. He's not a native speaker like the last one so I can completely understand everything he says. It's very cool but it doesn't give me great practice of trying to understand the ticos I will be faced with in 3 and a half weeks. We have been getting new districts in our zone and now we are the 2nd oldest which is really really weird. It's really weird to see the new districts teaching us because I can see how far I have come and how much I have learned. I'm running los on time. I will write you today. But I love you and thank you for all the support.

Elder Graham


LETTERS dated 9/3

-Mom/Dad
How excited are you for Cohen and Molly to be back in Oregon? I's so jealous that you guys will get to see them all the time now!
By the time you get this Oregon better had stomped UNM and OSU better have gotten smashed by TCU. It's tough for me to picture waking up on Saturday mornings and not being able to watch all the games. You guys better eat some queso in my memory!
The are here is sooo dry. My elbows are crusty and gross. I had to buy lotion to put on them. I don't really get it.
Here are a few pictures with the Elders who were in our district, but left for Guatamala. One of them is Elder Tolley and Wadsworth. Elder Tolley is potentially the goofiest kid I've ever met. He's from Ohio and has a fatty midwest accent and is just so silly. And Elder Wadsworth, we all called The Prophet because he looks like an apostle and he knows everything about the scriptures.
The other is with Elders Bishop and Sakievich. Bishop was our District Leader and was the most stereotypical District Leader that took it seriously and was really professional about it. Sakievich was just a big goofy Lithuanian. I love him! The other pictures are of our whole district with our teachers. Elder Weber, who is in the middle of the pic outside with the green tie reminds me sooo much of Nick. Same weird silly sense of humor and he's just a really cool kid. And there is a pic of my bed with my flag, and me, Elder Miller and Stevens in the fuzzy picture showing everyone what's up.
Thank you guys so much for all the support and help you send me and have helped me to get here. I couldn't have gotten anywhere near here or at church without you. I love you and miss you.
Pet Bernard for me.

-Elder Graham

Could you also send some good pics of the Portland Temple?


Mom & Dad,
I know I already wrote today, but I got your DearElder letter today and I thought I would respond while it's still technically P-Day. It's a very cool feeling to be able to teach and feel the spirit in Spanish. I especially love saying the first vision in Spanish. I always make Elder Willis let me say it. I don't need another suit or anything. But I may want another pair of shoes once I'm in CR but I can let you know then.
I love all the sports updates. I don't let it get to me. I only read them at night and on P-Day. I am so happy that you and Dad read the Book of Mormon every day. I practice committing people to read everyday but it all wouldn't mean much if my parents didn't follow it. I know you will be blessed and I feel happy knowing that my parents are following what I'm trying to teach the world.
I love you guys and I am so thankful for all you've taught me. One Elder asked Elder Hinckley what his Dad taught him that was most important to him, and he replied by asking the same question back. It made me think of how I would answer that and I couldn't. Dad has taught me so much about how to be a good human being, the best possible.

I love you guys
-Elder Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment