I have been called to serve for 2 years in the Costa Rica San Jose Mission as a full time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cariari, Costa Rica!

I got my trainer and I'm in my first area! I can't understand a word anyone says but it's all good. My trainer is Elder Felipe. He is Mexican and doesn't speak English, which is hard but I'm so happy he is because I know its gonna make my spanish so much better.

I'm in Cariari. I'm not sure exactly where that is but it was a 3 hour bus ride from San Jose, south, I'm pretty sure. My companion explained it to me but I couldn't understand.
This morning we had the transfer meeting where we find out where we're going and who with, and almost the whole mission was there. There was a big powerpoint thing that showed an area then a senior companion and then the name and picture apeared next to it to show who goes with that person and everyone was so excited and was cheering and it was pretty fun.

After I met Elder Felipe we got on a bus and drove on the most sickening ride of my life. Halfway through I had to throw up so Elder Felipe was talking to the people we were sitting by and I was throwing up. Then when we got to our area I had to throw up again and I couldn't control it so I let it fly right on the street. This guy that works in the shop I was throwing up in front of was yelling at me in spanish and i couldn't understand.

Then we got in a taxi and came to our house. Our house is small, smells like chicken crap because for some reason we have chickens and bunnies in the back yard but it's awesome! All the houses here are built to be like completely outside we don't have a back wall to the house. It's just a fence/gate and completely open to outside. We don't have closets and our shower only has ice cold water. It's sweet. I'll send some pictures.

After we got to the house we just droppped off my stuff and walked into town to use the internet. We started walking next to a guy and introduced ourselves and talked to him. I could not understand a single word the guy said. I'm convinced that it wasnt spanish. But we got an appoinment at 4 on friday. So we got my first lesson planned. But at 7 we have a lesson so thats the first one I will teach. I'm a little nervous because I really can't understand these people.

This place is so crazy. When we were driving through the mountains the view was amazing. Just crazy jungle. I saw one of the places where they do the canopy zip lines things. It was pretty sweet to see. We would go over bridges with rivers and giant valley things of jungle below.

Did you get the last e mail I sent?

I love you, Elder Graham

PS.
Monday will be my p days except for transfer days like today. Then every six weeks it's wednesday.

This morning we went and ate breakfast at the mission president's home and had gallo pinto again and waffles which were like regular waffles. We met President Galves´s family. He has 2 sons and 2 daughters and they talked to Me about how Jacob was their son's companion.

We had an orientation meeting last night where we learned about mision rules and goals. They hit 1000 baptisms for the year last month, which they have never done in any year. So now the goal is 2000 and we need to really bust it. Hopefully i don't have to wait very long for my first one! But Elder Felipe said that this area hasn't had a baptism in 8 months. So we've got our work ready and we´re gonna be the ones to change that trend! Im super excited to do that! I think were going to get pizza now. I love you. Good night Elder graham

No comments:

Post a Comment