I have been called to serve for 2 years in the Costa Rica San Jose Mission as a full time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Week Three in Cariari....Iguana for dinner!

Helloooo. So today we aren't going to the temple.. we're going the 20th, though I didn't really understand why. Something with the transportation of us getting to San Jose.

My spanish is coming along a little bit.. there are times I think I'm getting it, then I talk to someone and I have no idea what they're saying.. it's definitely very tough. I guess I never really thought before this just how hard it would really be. This whole process has by far been the hardest thing I've ever done. We walk at least 100 miles a day. It feels feels like 1 million degrees and in the most outrageous humidity ever. I sweat like a banshee non stop. Right now a drop of sweat just fell off my nose and I'm in an "air conditioned room". And I usually don't sweat much. I would hate to see how sweaty Luke would be here.

I should get the package my next transfers or maybe even when we go to San Jose for the temple. I don't really know. We get mail randomly. We had a compasitiation (is that a word in english?) with my zone for 2 days and the president and the aps came. We just went over stuff and they brought the mail to us. well... those who got mail...

That sounds like a great party for Tracey! I sent her a little something special last week that she should get within the next week.

Last week we had to change houses. Our new house is different. It's a house split in 2 and the guy who owns it lives in the other half. Theres a piece of sheetrock blocking off his half, but not really. Theres fatty holes and his cats always come into our side. We do have four walls but our doors are just screens and our windows don't close so we definitely get our share of fresh air from outside. Changing houses was a huge headache. We got help from members for half an hour with the big stuff, then they had to leave. We had to carry all our stuff about a mile to our new house back and forth. It was a little tedious.

Our laundry lady is a member who lives right down the road from us and is the sweetest lady ever. Hermana Pasita. She is single and 53 and she always yells at us to come into her house for "frescos". Every drink here is a fresco no matter what it is, and she makes us corn tortillas and stuff. She is the sweetest lady in the world and makes the most delicious things. And I had her fix my pants.

We don't ever have dinner appointments but all the time when we go to visit members or investigators they feed us. Sometimes we will have just eaten at the last appointment but we have to eat a whole meal again.. It's usually just beans and rice and some kind of meat. I never ask what it is but after one of our meals, after we left, Elder Felipe informed me that it was iguana. It just tasted like chicken kinda but a little stronger. It wasn't bad at all.

For church on Sundays we have to split up and one of us goes to Cariari and one to La Rita. Last sunday I went to La Rita and met up with the ward mission leader. We went around waking people up and getting people to church. His name is Gustavo. He's way cool. He's only 25 and a return missionary and goes out with us a lot. The church in La Rita is absolutely tiny. I can't explain to you how small because you wouldnt believe me. There were 44 people in sacrament meeting. and it was PACKED in the room where they meet for sacrament meeting. For Sunday School and Priesthod they split that room up in 2. There are 2 other little rooms for the youth and for primary. Last Sunday was testimony meeting so i got up and introduced myself and bore my testimony.

I will send some pictures next week i didnt know that we were using the computers right now when i left.

On our last p day I just wanted to see the whole downtown part of Cariari. Its pretty sweet. There's like a million little stores. They're not any kind of specific kind of store that sells one thing. They all just sell random stuff. I found a pillow in a store that is like a bread store. Oh and there are little bread stores on every corner here and they sell the best little treats, little sweet empanadas with pineapple and such in them.. so good.

All is well here. I'm enjoying all the people we teach. Everyone is really open to learn and listen but are really lazy and don't actually want to do anything to change their lives. They just like to talk about God. Yesterday we went and taught a lesson to a family. The dad used to be the branch president here but now are super inactive. We tried to teach them the importance of reading your scriptures and going to church and he blew up on us saying we don't understand what he's going though and we're just young boys and don't know what it's like to have to raise a family and it's impossible to have time to go to church or read the scriptures. Then there's this guy who live by us who always invites us to come over and "teach him". He just goes on rants about how the Book of mormon is evil and says terrible things about joseph smith. I got really mad last night and kinda freaked out on him, and for some reason we keep going to his house.. I've met with him 3 times and it gets worse every time...

I might be able to e mail again on Friday because that's our real p day. We're just here as a district after district meeting because we can't e mail tomorrow because tomorrow isnt the pday for the temple. its friday. (????) anywho i love you.

Elder Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment