I have been called to serve for 2 years in the Costa Rica San Jose Mission as a full time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Week Four in Cariari and La Rita


Hey! So we dont have much time today because were just using the internet while we wait for our bus. We just got done at the temple. It was really cool to go through in spanish but a little tough. Its a very very beautiful temple inside and out. It was nice to be in the air conditioning! We got to walk around downtown San Jose today. It was way cool to see all the little stands and shops and stuff. I stopped and got some fruit a few times. I got half a pinapple all cut down for what is like 10 cents in the states, and it's all delicious.


Monday I got to do splits and i went to Puerto Viejo and got to be with a gringo, Elder Malan. He was way cool and it was a lot of fun to be with him for the day. Here when we do splits it's for the night so it was fun to see another area.


We have 2 baptisms on the 30th! My first ones. One is Fernanda who is 25 and has 2 kids (3 and 5 soooo cute) and a "husband" But she is so great she reminds me a lot of jen. When we met them they weren't religious at all and at the last lesson we had her 5 year old son give the prayer and it was perfect and soo cute. She has been teaching her kids how to pray and stuff. They are getting married the 29th so she can be baptised. Her husband is an extremely inactive member who hasnt been to church in about 10 years and only went for a few months after he was baptized. Last lesson she asked if she got to pick who baptized her and we said of course, and for some reason she picked me to do it. I usually can't understand her and Elder Felipe does most the talking but she asked me to baptize her so I'm very excited for that. The other Is a 17 year old kid named Jose whose family is evangelicist and he has always hated that. So we've been teaching him and he's all ready to be baptized. His family is very poor and he has nothing but he went out and bought a white shirt and tie to wear to church, and he said he wants to be a missionary.


This picture is the greatest family. A single mom with a million little kids. Her husband left and so she has to raise all those kids alone. But such a great faithful member of the church. We had family home evening with them on Monday in Puerto Viejo. I diotn know if you can tell but the boy on my lap is holding my last hackey sack! In their branch they meet in the missionaries house and the missionaries are the branch presidancy!


I understand a litte more but ive done less worrying about whats going on and saying wrong things so i talk a lot more.


Elder felipie is good. I cant complain, He likes to work hard and obey rules and stuff which most don't. We dont have much in common and my humor doesnt translate so he doesnt think I'm funny. its unfortunate.


Our branches are good, cariari had 19 peoople in it last week... So we've got a lot of work to do. It's got a big beautiful chapel though. We've gotta fill it up. We just get no support from the members there. Both our baptisms are in La Rita. Cariari hasnt had a baptism in a lonnnggg time and la rita in 8months. And we should have a baptism next month in cariari. They've just gotta get married.


The new homes fine We have less kitchen stuff so we can't heat up water and the shower's still cold.


I'm out of time. i love you p day monday


Elder Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment